Nov 17

Nabialek trick

By Joel de Guzman Add comments

This sample is a port of the original “Nabialek trick” from classic Spirit. See the cpp file here.

Update:

Thomas Bernard did some performance investigations and concluded that the older version of this article which stores the rules directly in the symbol-table is sub-optimal. This updated article uses rule pointers instead.

Thomas notes:

I’ve done some more investigation on the performance issue the proposed Nabialek trick implementation shows. With the help of callgrind I confirmed that the main performance hit comes from copying the parser out of the symbol table when a successful parse occurs into the rule local variable. (If anybody is interested I can provide the callgrind results)

There is a very simple way to prevent that: use pointers. This time the optimization I propose works 🙂

The modifications to the proposed implementation are simple:

1. Replace the symbol table definition to use rule pointers instead of normal rules
  2. Replace the rule local variable type to be a pointer to a rule instead of a rule
  3. Adapt the call to the lazy parser to take into account the modified local variable type

Using pointers prevents copying the rules around and gives about three times faster parsing speed in the most simple cases. The speed improvement can be much bigger as the complexity of the rules stored in the symbol table increases.

This technique, I’ll call the “Nabialek trick” (from the name of its inventor, Sam Nabialek), can improve the rule dispatch from linear non-deterministic to deterministic. The trick applies to grammars where a keyword (operator, etc), precedes a production. There are lots of grammars similar to this:

r =
        keyword1 >> production1
    |   keyword2 >> production2
    |   keyword3 >> production3
    |   keyword4 >> production4
    |   keyword5 >> production5
    /*** etc ***/
    ;
;

The cascaded alternatives are tried one at a time through trial and error until something matches. The Nabialek trick takes advantage of the symbol table’s search properties to optimize the dispatching of the alternatives. For an example, consider this grammar:

one = id;
two = id >> ',' >> id;

start = *("one" >> one | "two" >> two);

There are two rules (one and two). When “one” is recognized, rule ‘one’ is invoked. When “two” is recognized, rule ‘two’ is invoked.

Here’s the corresponding grammar using the Nabialek trick (see nabialek.cpp):

one = id;
two = id >> ',' >> id;

keyword.add
    ("one", &one)
    ("two", &two)
    ;

start = *(keyword[_a = _1] >> lazy(*_a));

The grammar works as follows. keyword is a symbol table with two slots containing rule pointers:

qi::symbols<char, qi::rule<Iterator, ascii::space_type>*> keyword;

This is initialized to contain the address of rules “one” and “two”.

one, two, id, start are rules which are declared as follows:

qi::rule<Iterator, ascii::space_type> id, one, two;
qi::rule<Iterator, ascii::space_type,
    qi::locals<qi::rule<Iterator,
        ascii::space_type>*> > start;

The start rule has a local variable —a rule pointer. In this example, when we enter the start rule, we create a temporary local variable. When a valid keyword is matched, notice that the semantic action stores a pointer to the rule we initially stored in the symbol table into the local variable with this code:

keyword[_a = _1]

_a refers to the local variable and _1 refers to the attribute of keyword —the rule pointer contained in the symbol slots.

Now that the local variable (referred to by _a) contains a pointer to the rule we want to continue parsing with, the next thing to do is call it. This is done by the lazy pseudo parser:

>> lazy(*_a)

The dynamic grammar parses inputs such as:

"one only"
"one again"
"two first, second"

The cool part is that the rule we want to parse with is dynamically chosen at runtime depending on what the symbol table contains. If it got a “one” then we use the ‘one’ rule. If it got “two”, then we use the ‘two’ rule. Very nifty! This technique should be very fast, especially when there are lots of keywords. It would be nice to add special facilities to make this easy to use. I imagine:

r = keywords >> rest;

where keywords is a special parser (based on the symbol table) that automatically sets its RHS (rest) depending on the acquired symbol. This, I think, is mighty cool! Someday perhaps…

Now, that last line was written in 2003. Will someone come forward and finally do it? 🙂

16 Responses to “Nabialek trick”

1. Andy Stevenson says:

It is a very cool technique.
    I have a grammar that requires keywords to use the distinct[] directive out of the repository. Is there a way to adapt the symbols construct in the technique to match the keyword using the distinct directive?

• Joel de Guzman says:

Sure. Just wrap the keywords in the distinct directive. In my case, I always prefer to spell it out explicitly. For example, if I do not want my keywords (and all identifiers for that matter) to be followed by alpha or underscore, I write is this way:

lexeme[keywords >> !(alnum | '_')]  // make sure we have whole words

The predicate makes sure we don’t have an alpha or underscore after a keyword.

2. Andy Stevenson says:

Thanks Joel – perfect.

3. Raindog says:

This took me a while to understand what was going on, perhaps you can explain it in terms of the original grammar.

r = keyword1 >> production1 | keyword2 >> production2 ....

and in the example given of the Nabialek trick,

rule1 =
    rule2 =

Then you have a symbol table used to dispatch the rule associated with the symbol.

keyword.add
        ("one", one)
        ("two", two)
        ;

The *items* in the symbol table correspond to the keywordX list from the original example grammar, which is the part I had trouble figuring out, perhaps the spirit version of the example grammar could have be changed to:

production1 = id;
    production2 = id >> ',' >> id;

keyword1 = production1;
    keyword2 = production2;

keyword.add
        ("keyword1", keyword1)
        ("keyword2", keyword2)
        ;

It’s a little more verbose, but you can then provide the “real” example.

4. Thomas Bernard says:

I’m working on a rather complex grammar which makes an extensive use of keywords. I have a working state but somehow I wasn’t happy with the effecency of the parsing.

I started out with the first contruct using alternatives and tried to get something better using the permutation. That lead me to making a small benchmark to compare three approches I came up with (with some tips from the Mailing list).

I wrote a small benchmark program with some generated keywords (5, 10, 20 and 50) to get a better appreciation of the best technique depending on the number of keywords.

The first implementation was using alternates *( | | | ) style parsing. The second implemtation used permutations ( ^ ^ ^ ) with the drawback of not being able to parse multiple occurences of the same keyword. The last implementation is the Nabialek trick as described on this page.

My benchmarks showed that somehow the nabialek trick was the slowest. Even slower than the alternative parser.

I was very disappointed because nabialek trick is advertised as being very fast. But I finally found the clue !
    There’s a small catch in the proposed implementation which produces expensive copying of the parser being evaluated.

Here’s how you will get the expected lightning speed out of the nabialek trick.
    Instead of declaring the local variable as a parser you must use a parser pointer.
    Replace:

qi::rule<Iterator, ascii::space_type, qi::locals<qi::rule> > start;

with:

qi::rule<Iterator, ascii::space_type, qi::locals<qi::rule *> > start;

And in the grammar:

keyword[_a = _1] >> lazy(_a)

with:

keyword[_a = &_1] >> lazy(*_a)

That will even beat the permutation parser.

• Thomas Bernard says:

Please forget the last part on optimizing the Nabialek trick. I was a bit hasty and didn’t check that the parsing succeeded. The solution is worhless. I’ll give it another try as soon as I can.

5. Thomas Bernard says:

The Nabialek trick doesn’t present real performance benefits unless you have a very large number of keywords. The simple fact that semantic actions are necessary to get the trick working slows everything down.

The second issue I see is the data extraction. Here too you’re bound to using some semantic actions to get the data into some usable data structures. It’s tricky and you very quickly loose all the performance benefits presented by the symbols parser.

Unless you habe a rather large number of keywords (more than 30) you’ll get better parsing speed if you write your grammar without using the nabialek trick.

6. Robert Koguciuk says:

Joel, thanks for this short article on Nabialek trick.

I’ve tried to use this technique and now I have a question related to invoking parsers with qi::lazy parser. Suppose the parsers named one, two in your article expect an inherited attribute:

struct my_struct {}
    qi::rule<Iterator, void(my_struct&), ascii::space_type> one, two;

how to invoke them with a qi::lazy parser so that they are passed the inherited attribute?

7. Thomas Bernard says:

I’ve done some more investigation on the performance issue the proposed Nabialek trick impletation shows. With the help of callgrind I confirmed that the main performance hit comes from copying the parser out of the symbol table when a successfull parse occurs into the local variable.

The modifications to the above description are simple:
    1. replace the symbol table definition to use rule pointers instead of normal rules
    2. replace the rule local variable type to be a pointer to a rule instead of a rule
    3. adapt the call to the lazy parser to take into account the modified local variable type

With the modification you should come down to something simalar to this:

typedef qi::rule rule_type;
    rule_type id, one, two;
    qi::rule<Iterator, ascii::space_type, qi::locals > start;
    qi::symbols keyword;

keyword.add(“one”,&one)(“two”,&two);
    start = *(keyword[_a = _1] >> lazy(*_a));

8. Rob says:

Using different names for the keyword strings and corresponding rules would probably make things a bit easier to discuss. That is, you could use "kw1" to trigger rule r1 (i.e., keyword.add("kw1", &r1)). Then, you don’t need the “one” versus ‘one’ attempts to distinguish inputs from rule names.

• Joel de Guzman says:

Good point. But we don’t want to change these names now, otherwise we’ll have to change the code, the post and the comments to avoid confusion. I don’t think it’s wise to do that now. OTOH, we can definitely migrate this later to the documentation proper and ‘fix’ the names there.

9. dariomt says:

I’ve tried this with Boost 1.42.0 and the trick works if I use rules. If I use *pointers* to rules it doesn’t work.

Is this a known limitation of the version I’m using?

10. Jim Northrup says:

question: since 2011 timeframe, does state of the c++ move implementation circa 2015 reduce the importance of nabialak trick?

• Joel de Guzman says:

perhaps not the importance of the nabialak trick, but the use of pointers, instead of values. I’ll see if I can do some investigation on X3.